The Fluke 1587 digital insulation multimeter (also known as a multitester) is a true RMS, auto- and manual-ranging meter insulation resistance, current, voltage, and resistance for testing line insulation in telecommunications applications. The insulation test voltage settings of 50V, 100V measure resistance from 0.01 to 100 megohms. The meter also measures capacitance, frequency, and resistance. Temperature is measured using a K-type thermocouple (included). A diode test detects correct functioning of a circuit's diodes. A low-pass filter provides accurate AC voltage and AC frequency measurements on inverters and variable-frequency motor drives by blocking unwanted voltages. Live circuit detection increases user safety by preventing insulation tests when voltages exceed 30V, and auto-discharge of capacitive voltage increases user protection. An audible continuity sensor confirms a circuit conducts electricity. The LCD is backlit for readability in low light. A Hold function freezes the reading on the display. An alarm sounds when the test leads are connected to the wrong jack for the measurement being taken. The unit automatically turns off after 20 minutes of nonuse to conserve battery life or can be disabled for extended readings, and a low-battery indicator signals when the meter's batteries need to be replaced. The meter included a set of detachable test leads, a remote probe, alligator clips, a hard case, and instructions.
This true RMS (root mean square) meter provides accurate readings when measuring linear loads, such as standard induction motors and incandescent lights, where the current or voltage has an undistorted waveform, or nonlinear loads, such as electronic devices or motors, where the current or voltage has a distorted waveform. When turned on, the meter is in auto-ranging mode and automatically selects the correct operating range for the property being measured. It can be switched to manual-ranging mode, which allows the operator to choose the appropriate operating range. The display has a 6,000-count resolution, meaning it can display up to 5,999 units (3-3/4 digits) before the operating range needs to be changed. It meets International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) safety standard 61010 and is certified Category III installations up to 1000V, which covers items used with enclosed building circuit installations (such as service panel parts, branch circuits, and fixed installations that are connected directly to a building's AC power supply), Category IV installations up to 600V, which covers equipment at the origin of the installation (such as electricity meters and primary over-current protection equipment), and Pollution Degree 2 for indoor use.
- Manual- and auto-ranging digital insulation multimeter measures insulation resistance, current, voltage, capacitance, frequency, resistance, and temperature, and performs diode tests for telecommunications testing
- True RMS meter provides accurate readings when measuring linear or nonlinear loads where the current or voltage has an undistorted or distorted waveform
- Insulation test voltages of 50 and 100 volts and insulation measurement range of 0.01 to 100 megaohms
- Low-pass filter blocks unwanted voltages when measuring AC voltage and AC frequency to provide accurate measurements on inverters and variable-frequency motor drives
- Ingress Protection Certified IP40; European Conformity (CE) marking; UL 61010-1; ANSI/ISA S82.01-2004; CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 1010.1:2004; IEC safety standards 61010-1:1002 and 61010.1-04, IEC61557-1; IEC61557-2; and IEC/EN 61010-1, 2nd edition for Category III installations up to 1000V and Category IV installations up to 600V, and Pollution Degree 2